About the Resort Triangle Transportation Plan
The Resort Triangle study area consists of communities in the North Tahoe area; along the north and west shores of Lake Tahoe in Placer County including the town centers of Tahoe City and Kings Beach, extending up River Road (State Route 89) and North Shore Boulevard (State Route 267) to Nevada County and the Town of Truckee city limits.
The focus of the Resort Triangle studies is understanding transportation within proximity to the three primary corridors that connect destinations within the North Tahoe region; specifically, Tahoe City, Kings Beach, Truckee as well as resort areas and West Shore communities. The study findings will serve as a road map for future plan development.
• River Road and West Lake Boulevard (State Route 89)
• North Shore Boulevard (State Route 267)
• North Lake Boulevard (State Route 28)
The study will consider regional and local circulation, alternative transportation options, transit, parking, and vehicular travel reduction. It will also consider how regional patterns impact travel along the study area’s corridors and within its communities.
PURPOSE & GOALS
The goal of the project is to develop a unified vision and policy framework for transportation in the Placer County Resort Triangle area.
The project will strive to meet the following goals and tasks:
• Review existing planning documents and transportation data
• Engage community members and local stakeholders on travel needs and barriers
• Analyze future travel patterns
• Develop policies for reduced vehicle travel and dependency
• Elevate alternative travel choices
• Reduced peak period congestion
• Develop parking management programs for commercial and recreational areas
The planning effort will consist of four focused transportation studies:
• Corridor management strategies along State Routes 89 & 267
• Understanding travel patterns within, to, and from the Resort Triangle and identifying trip reduction approaches
• Developing implementation strategies to manage travel demand to and within the Tahoe region
• Evaluating parking management approaches within the study area’s communities and activity centers
These four focused studies will inform community and stakeholder discussions and become the basis from which recommendations for the overall Resort Triangle Transportation Plan vision and action plan will be developed.